Thursday, September 4, 2014

Katie11

My first post!

My name is Katie Beard, I am a rising junior at the University of Maryland majoring in Biology with a concentration in Neuobiology and Physiology. I am currently on the pre-med track; I hope to gain acceptance to medical school and specialize in Pediatrics after a gap year or two serving the PeaceCorp or Global Health Corp. Thanks for reading!

When it comes to society and technology, I think influence is a two way street. I also don't think one can exist without the other. Engineers would not create advanced technology if society did not have behaviors or challenges in daily life that engineers aim to simplify or overcome by creating a new device. However, as new devices are created, society alters it's own behavior to integrate technology within their lives. For example, Cell phones were most likely engineered to make communicating across long distances easier and also portable. However, as the number of people that owned cell phones increased, the number of a times a day that people communicate with one another over long distances increased significantly because it had become so much easier and accessible.

No comments:

Post a Comment